Who we are
The Johnston Community School Foundation is a nonprofit organization led by a volunteer board of directors whose members are dedicated to enhancing our children’s educational experience. Board members come from all walks of life but all share a common thread: All are parents of current, former, or future students in the Johnston Community School District.
The mission of the Johnston Community School Foundation is to raise funds to provide grants for our educators in support of our students and schools to promote educational excellence.
What We Do
The Foundation facilitates funding of creative projects and ideas to promote academic achievement. We fund projects in our schools that otherwise may never happen. The Foundation supports academics, special needs, and the arts and seeks to enhance the education experience in each of our schools, across all grade levels.
We award grants that support classroom instruction by providing much needed resources to educators in our schools. Grand funds benefit our students directly and stay in our community.
The Foundation also recognizes Johnston’s outstanding educators and students with special recognition and awards. In addition, the Foundation provides a framework for one-time gifts and long-term giving from local businesses, community residents, and alumni.
The Johnston Community School Foundation has provided hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding to Johnston educators since 2001. Your support of the Foundation is an investment in our children and our community. Here are a few examples of what your support can accomplish:
- Improving communication skills, reading comprehension and fluency and math skills utilizing iPads and iPods - Beaver Creek Elementary
- Increase literacy skills by providing appropriate leveled books to elementary students - Timber Ridge Elementary
- Providing new and refurbished band instruments - All Elementary Schools
- Build literacy skills and improve listening for struggling readers, special-need students and English-language learners with audiobook reading technology - Summit Middle School
- Increase seventh grade math skills and allow students to actively construct meaning for math concepts utilizing graphing calculators - Summit Middle School
- Increase student’s scientific knowledge through participation in the Science Olympiad - Johnston Middle School
- Increase ninth grade reading skills by providing current, high interest reading material to encourage non-proficient readers to get involved and excited about reading - Johnston Middle School
- Enhance reading, research and technology skills with unlimited access to reference material - Johnston Middle School
- Improve auditorium sound and lighting to enhance all music and theatre performances and enable students to develop expertise - Johnston High School
- Recognize students’ distinguished volunteer service through the Silver Cord Award program - Johnston High School